SHOWMEN'S MARKETPLACE - CLASSIFIED ADS
  
Click here to learn how YOU can advertise in the Showmen's Marketplace.

Home | News | Marketplace & Classifieds | Photo Galleries | Advertise | Contact Us
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Dave  
#1 Posted : Saturday, June 1, 2019 1:14:33 AM(UTC)
Dave
Rank: 40-Miler

Reputation:

Groups: Registered
Joined: 3/2/2017(UTC)
Posts: 38
Canada
Location: Winnipeg

Thanks: 11 times
Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 9 post(s)
https://www.cbc.ca/news/...ed-northern-bc-1.5103468 Interview with West Coast Amusements

I've been trying to figure how shows can finance their operations with the conditions they face here in Canada. Long distance for Name to get here and long hauls from spot to spot. We have a federal and provincial sales taxes up to 14%, carbon tax on fuel and a $15.00 minimum wage + holiday pay, payroll tax, cpp and more hidden gems. Ride inspections are very rigid as are employment standards.

When Conklin sold to Name the idea was west coast would join and their steel wouldn't have to travel as far. Name tried a year with one coaster and im told Calgary Stampede wanted more. Currently they move a Mouse coaster, the Outlaw Coaster, Niagara falls I remember Alfie Phillips saying the small carnivals would be gone as West Coast unit wouldn't be available for the B circuit. It was assumed that select/Canuck would move up and the c circuit would be over.

Alfie may be right after all
Sponsor
Offline thunderbolt85  
#2 Posted : Saturday, June 1, 2019 3:07:09 PM(UTC)
thunderbolt85
Rank: Operations Foreman

Reputation:

Groups: Registered
Joined: 6/27/2012(UTC)
Posts: 2,228
Location: Greenville SC

Thanks: 785 times
Was thanked: 252 time(s) in 209 post(s)
How does anyone survive up there with socialist laws, taxes, and regulations like that.

No wonder Conklin decided to call it quits, no way to make money.

I know some of those spots have very large crowds, guess the only way to survive is to make sure you have the biggest spots to make it worth while.

If we are not careful the United States will get the same way.
thanks 1 user thanked thunderbolt85 for this useful post.
Dave on 6/2/2019(UTC)
Offline ridejocky  
#3 Posted : Saturday, June 1, 2019 5:55:33 PM(UTC)
ridejocky
Rank: Maintenance Supervisor

Reputation:

Groups: Registered
Joined: 9/28/2010(UTC)
Posts: 748
Location: Bangkok

Thanks: 2 times
Was thanked: 113 time(s) in 104 post(s)
Just handle the taxes like the Royal did and don’t pay them...
Ride the Zipper?
thanks 1 user thanked ridejocky for this useful post.
Dave on 6/2/2019(UTC)
Offline thunderbolt85  
#4 Posted : Saturday, June 1, 2019 8:12:28 PM(UTC)
thunderbolt85
Rank: Operations Foreman

Reputation:

Groups: Registered
Joined: 6/27/2012(UTC)
Posts: 2,228
Location: Greenville SC

Thanks: 785 times
Was thanked: 252 time(s) in 209 post(s)
Yeah thought about that but u know I don't blame them, course didn't turn out well. I still think someone tipped the authorities off on that deal years ago.
thanks 1 user thanked thunderbolt85 for this useful post.
Dave on 6/2/2019(UTC)
Offline ridejocky  
#5 Posted : Sunday, June 2, 2019 5:58:31 PM(UTC)
ridejocky
Rank: Maintenance Supervisor

Reputation:

Groups: Registered
Joined: 9/28/2010(UTC)
Posts: 748
Location: Bangkok

Thanks: 2 times
Was thanked: 113 time(s) in 104 post(s)
Originally Posted by: thunderbolt85 Go to Quoted Post
Yeah thought about that but u know I don't blame them, course didn't turn out well. I still think someone tipped the authorities off on that deal years ago.


I blame them. They had the money.

Ride the Zipper?
Offline Scott  
#6 Posted : Friday, June 7, 2019 2:21:33 PM(UTC)
Scott
Rank: Operations Foreman

Reputation:

Groups: Registered
Joined: 1/3/2003(UTC)
Posts: 3,965
Location: Little Rock, Arkansas

Thanks: 30 times
Was thanked: 204 time(s) in 149 post(s)
Originally Posted by: ridejocky Go to Quoted Post
Just handle the taxes like the Royal did and don’t pay them...



Royal American did not get convicted of tax evasion. That is a misconception by everyone. When the RCMP started their investigation, it took them two years of surveillance and they did not understand that RAS did not own everything on the lot. They were assuming they were failing to pay tax on the games and food. The concessionaires were the ones who were busted for failing to pay tax. The ONLY thing that CJ Jr. was convicted on was failing to declare a gun he brought into Canada. The Edmonton Police investigated the show for bribing the fair manager, however the only thing that could be proved was they gave the man a transistor radio and I think a RAS Ash tray. I believe they donated money to his reelection campaign and no doubt there was some cash involved.... I don’t think anyone believes that there wasn't but.... it wasn't ever proven. The Edmonton police did not know the RCMP was doing an investigation so when they raided the show in Edmonton it *ed off the RCMP and they raided the show the following week in Regina. Another issue the RCMP had was why the show had so much cash in the office safe. They did not recognize that shows carry large amounts for operation and payroll and whatever other reasons. That was an issue for them.
It is also believed that Conklin was behind all of this. At the time there was a movement in Canada the then Prime Minister was pushing called Canada for Canadians. Some believe that was the catalyst for the raid. Whether or not Conklin was behind it or not we may never know but that’s what is believed by some.


WOBBLE BABY,WOBBLE BABY,WOBBLE BABY,WOBBLE BABY,WOBBLE BABY,
thanks 3 users thanked Scott for this useful post.
thunderbolt85 on 6/7/2019(UTC), wvscott on 6/15/2019(UTC), BeauceCarnavalMan on 6/25/2019(UTC)
Offline Dave  
#7 Posted : Sunday, June 9, 2019 12:03:51 AM(UTC)
Dave
Rank: 40-Miler

Reputation:

Groups: Registered
Joined: 3/2/2017(UTC)
Posts: 38
Canada
Location: Winnipeg

Thanks: 11 times
Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Scott Go to Quoted Post
Royal American did not get convicted of tax evasion. That is a misconception by everyone. When the RCMP started their investigation, it took them two years of surveillance and they did not understand that RAS did not own everything on the lot. They were assuming they were failing to pay tax on the games and food. The concessionaires were the ones who were busted for failing to pay tax. The ONLY thing that CJ Jr. was convicted on was failing to declare a gun he brought into Canada. The Edmonton Police investigated the show for bribing the fair manager, however the only thing that could be proved was they gave the man a transistor radio and I think a RAS Ash tray. I believe they donated money to his reelection campaign and no doubt there was some cash involved.... I don’t think anyone believes that there wasn't but.... it wasn't ever proven. The Edmonton police did not know the RCMP was doing an investigation so when they raided the show in Edmonton it *ed off the RCMP and they raided the show the following week in Regina. Another issue the RCMP had was why the show had so much cash in the office safe. They did not recognize that shows carry large amounts for operation and payroll and whatever other reasons. That was an issue for them.
It is also believed that Conklin was behind all of this. At the time there was a movement in Canada the then Prime Minister was pushing called Canada for Canadians. Some believe that was the catalyst for the raid. Whether or not Conklin was behind it or not we may never know but that’s what is believed by some.




Could be and you are right it may have been independent game operator that they stung. Games revenue often don't = gross sales.
Offline BeauceCarnavalMan  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, June 25, 2019 2:31:55 AM(UTC)
BeauceCarnavalMan
Rank: Ride Supervisor

Reputation:

Groups: Registered
Joined: 1/6/2003(UTC)
Posts: 1,535
Canada
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Thanks: 1835 times
Was thanked: 78 time(s) in 63 post(s)
Here in Ontario rentals for Movie Shoots, Schools, Music Festivals etc are big source of revenue for smaller shows to make up when they have slower spots.
BeauceCarnavalMan
Offline skywheel88  
#9 Posted : Monday, July 8, 2019 4:50:26 PM(UTC)
skywheel88
Rank: Ride Supervisor

Reputation:

Groups: Registered
Joined: 10/30/2004(UTC)
Posts: 1,324
Location: Edmonton, Alberta

Thanks: 26 times
Was thanked: 27 time(s) in 19 post(s)
We just got rid of the carbon tax in Alberta and if the country goes Conservative in the fall (which I think it will), there will probably be no carbon tax.
Kenny.

thanks 1 user thanked skywheel88 for this useful post.
Dave on 7/10/2019(UTC)
Rss Feed  Atom Feed
Users browsing this topic
OceanSpiders 2.0
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.