The amusement ride legislation was officially introduced today in the State of Ohio's house of representatives. It is House Bill 631 and is linked to below.
The lobbyists from the Greater Ohio Showmen's Association have reviewed this, and the proposal looks to do the following:
House Bill 631
- Require the Department of Agriculture to set rules determining a minimum number of inspector to inspect each ride;
- Requires to the ODAg to adopt the ASTM in their entirety;
- Requires the ODAg to give preference to professional engineers when hiring inspectors and the chief inspector. If a professional engineer does not apply for a position, preference must be given to a person with a level 1 or higher certification from NAARSO;
- Allows the ODAg to require amusement ride operators to take photos prior to and after repairs are made to rides. ODAg could also require detailed descrpitions of all repairs made to ride;
- Requires all inspectors to keep an electronic manual for each amusement ride that in inspected in the state, if such a manual is available;
- The bill will include an emergency clause, so if passed into law it would go into effect immediately.